Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Working World Today : (

I was at my vet's office on Sat. with the puppies that will be going to their forever homes next week. While I was there I was talking to the staff about one of the gals who was a wonderful vet tech., this women had worked there for many years, she would also come in to assist with late night emergencys, they would call her during her vacations to ask questions ect. As you can see this women was a vital asset to this business and it's patients. They said that the vet who owns the business would not give this gal a raise, she left and went to "The Gap" clothing store and is making more money and has health benifits then when she was a vet. tech.... This really struck a cord with me that a women who has spent years at one job becoming the "go to person" for everyone and their questions, being able to handle emergency situations, knowing the medications and dosages ect. is just tossed aside by a business for which she gave her all to and then for this women to find a job at a clothing store which needs no training at all and is making more money & now has health benifits for her family.... It just blows my mind.
This worries me because at this point in her life Kelly wants to be a horse tech assistant / Horse trainer. I know it's early in her life and things may change but she is a natural with animals and it would be a great choice for her. I have asked her her thoughts on going to college and she really doesn't want to. I was reading a great post at Mother Crone's Blog about a number of homeschoolers who send their children back to public school when they enter 9th grade - That is my husbands plan for Kelly. I wonder if she goes the GED route if that would affect her in the future instead of a public school diploma. Can you tell I am in the "butterflies in the stomach" area of homeschooling again for some reason!

1 comment:

Mrs. Darling said...

Oh boy my husband and I were just discussing this about our daughter. What does a person do? I worry so much about Tinks future. She would love to go back to public school. I dont think she can because of her processing disorder. The question of her future looms large rightn now!

I would say just let your child do what she loves to do. There's more to life than making the biggest buck. Her happiness and fulfillment as an individual is a far greater thing to consider.
Wishing you the best.