Sunday, September 23, 2007

People!!!!!! Geez!!!!!

I had a strange incounter yesterday...
While I was down at the post office in town behind me came in my daughters 2nd. grade public school teacher. Let me back track a bit, We had just moved down here to Florida from PA. - Being on the "Up North" schedule we got down her late for the begining of school. We had a meeting with a number of the staff at the new school since Kelly was an IEP (Individual Education Plan) student. When the head gal told this teacher Kelly would be added to her class she said she was filled and couldn't possbily add another IEP student.... My husband and I are stitting right there, Now I am thinking I don't want Kelly placed with a teacher who doesn't want her. Anyway, Kelly was placed with her and I was pleasently surprised at how much Kelly & her got along, the year turned out great she loved having Kelly in her class - She was a very young energetic, organized teacher we grew to really like her. She walks in behind me, smiles and says "Hello". I do the same. She asks "How is Kelly doing"? I said "Great, I am homeschooling her now". She says, "I know", and gives me a "Look"! I felt the fur rising on my neck, I said "I am loving it". She then says "That's nice" - In a monotone. Then says, "Tell Kelly I said Hello" and goes to her mailbox slot and then leaves..... I was so mad at myself for not questioning her more on how she "knew" I was homeschooling Kelly (We pulled Kelly out of public school late last year when she was in 5th grade). The "look" she gave me said all over it - "You are not qualified to teach that wonderful child, You are going to ruin her future". I know the look, I get it from my mother-in-law.... Normally I would just blow this all off but this past week we have really been struggling schoolwise. It is really hard to get Kelly to settle down and do work, she seems to have her mind in any place but on her school work. We will be going over a passage in a book about Egypt, while I am turning the page she will say something like one of these examples "Maybe we should check to see if the goats are loose", or "Do you know how many people on You Tube are sick and are already not going to school?", or "Can we work on the Chances hooves after we get done?" - It is like her mind is every where but on her studies. It really has me worried that I am just not getting the information across to her in a way that it will stick in her mind.
My mission today is to get in our school room area and organize for the up-coming week and see if I can add maybe a unit study or a something to get my sweety interested in learning : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
I know exactly how you feel!! I too have encountered people who treat me the same way. My daughter sounds like your daughter also with the motivating for school work. I wish I had an answer, but I am struggling with it also. I have read many books and I must admit that while they sound wonderful, none pertain to my problems. Mel Levine's "Myth of Laziness" helped a bit, but didn't give examples of how to solve the problems. (Which is what I am looking for!!)
I am busy getting supper ready, but let me ponder on what has and hasn't worked for me. BTW my daughter has chosen to do most of her core subjects on FLVS. Her choice not mine, but unlike many other homeschool parents, I DO MONITER her work and keep on top of her (I am sure I will hear about this when she is much older). Which I am seeing is not the norm...hence the looks and knowingly nods the un homeschooled people give us.
I guesss I am rattling on.....will write later.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Bunny

Fatcat said...

I actually had a teacher tell me, when we pulled our youngest out of school "you'll ruin him". Well, 3 years later, he's not 'ruined.'

You are doing the right thing. It takes a while to hit your stride in homeschooling and then when you do hit it, it only lasts a while and you have to re-think it all again. It's just like parenting. The baby's needs change and your response has to change along with it. Just when you think you've really got it, it changes.

It's still worth it.

Unknown said...

Hi Donna,

I have been homeschooling my two kids for a few years now. I get all our work together on the weekend, and I allow the kids to choose the order in which we complete the classes. Some classes are on-line sites I have found very useful, others are in books. But they seem to get less bored when they have some control. Also in a few of the classes I let them do games on-line on Fridays. Moneyopolis is an example.

Freakmom said...

I get so tired of people too. The veiled "nice" comments when they really don't mean it or don't care. I try to ignore it, but it is hard.

Violet likes to daydream and is constantly thinking of anything but what we're doing too. Especially if it is math!

I love your daughter's turtle pictures!