Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Electricity

I had hoped to be rolling with school by now but we are still sputtering along....
Today we read our second to last chapter of Hitty, that book has taken forever! It was a good book but it has just dragged on to long for us. We will wrap that up this week to get it out of the way!
Then we worked on Electricity, I had gotten a dvd from NetFlix "Science Fundamentals: Getting - Charged", it was only 15 minutes long which Kelly was so happy about. I could tell Kelly was pretty much lost even tho it was only a few minutes long. The did a few experiments like the balloon rubbing then sticking on your shirt ect. but she was lost with the whole thing.
We then read "Science Around Us Electricity" by Darlene Stille an easy read but it still didn't make it clear for her at all. It seems when words are used like Atom, electrons ect. she just zones out instead of trying to focus in on what they are all about.
I have another dvd about Thomas Edison that I thought would tie into the electric topic. I just found out they are sending my Richard Simmons 80's Blast off excerise dvd : ( so we will have a day or so before the Edison dvd which really won't work well but it is what is it.....

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Have you tried Bill Nye? He's great and entertaining! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-77IzaXGcg

And I have a lot of links here that she may find interesting http://www.toadhaven.com/ElectricityExperiments.html

We really liked messing around with electricity. It can be a lot of fun.

Phyllis said...

Have you ever asked her what she would like to study? Make her come up with a science topic. It is worth a try. Also, for electricity, if she could actually build something that worked...a makeup mirror maybe?

Sherri said...

We are having trouble getting back into the swing of things too. I had hoped that things would settle down after Christmas, but they just don't seem to be. We have one more family birthday this weekend...maybe then we can concentrate on school!!! I just feel so far behind in everything!! I hate that feeling!

Susan Evans said...

Now I have that song stuck in my head, "Electricity, Electricity," by School House Rock. You know, the cartoon that keeps flashing because of electricity running through the main character... LOL

chelsea said...

Nice post! Thanks for sharing.

Windows Server 2008 | Website Marketing Service