Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Peaceful Sunday

I got up early this morning to see my husband off, he is dropping off one of the puppies to her new home over in Tampa Bay, Florida. I was shocked that it was so cold this morning, I had to put the heat on to take the chill out of the house. The house at 10:30am is quiet, my husband is gone, my son went to church & Kelly is still sleeping, So seldom do I get a time like today where there is no noise in the house : )
My husband is off of work tomorrow & my son doesn't have any school due to the hoilday, I may try and slip in some schooling for Kelly though.
I had gotten this book "Making the GRADE Everything Your 6th Grader Needs to Know" It has some nice ideas in it to help cover some of the topics for 6th grade.
I am still pretty stummped on how to present information to Kelly that will allow her to retain it. An example of how quickly info. goes in and out - We were working on Noah and the ark, A little while later I asked her "What was the name of the man who built the ark"? She could not remember it. Her spelling - We work on spelling through out the week doing different things with the words, She will do okay on the test but then the next week she will go back to spelling the word the way she had done incorrectly in the past. I just am not seeing very much retaining of the information we are working on at all. When she was in public school they labled her with a learning disability and gave her an IEP but they were never able to pin point what her learning disablitity is. She is not disruptive or antsy during our lessons, she listens when I read to her. She hates to read, doesn't care to draw, doesn't give much effort into writting anwers to questions, so it has been a struggle to find what will work for her but I am still trying.....
If you have any ideas or tips just e-mail them to me at justme32110@yahoo.com I would love to read your ideas.
Enjoy your Sunday & Go Giants!

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

All of my tips are in my blog but I do know the frustration. Hope fully you will find something that will really work. We have vacation day tomorrow too but I told Tink she has to read for half an hur before she goes on a play date with friends. I wish I wouldnt have to tell her. When I was a kid my mom had to tell me to quit reading so much and to get my work done. I would love to have that problem with my own kid!

Freakmom said...

Does she remember things that are important to her? Like all the words to songs? Violet is that way (she's younger than your daughter though). Maybe if she picked a fun topic to study for a while. Something you might not even think of as schoolish. She could research the history, write about it, practice with it, go nuts learning about one thing.

Fatcat said...

There's a yahoo group list I'm on where they are always discussing these kinds of things. It's called homeschooling creatively
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschoolingcreatively/

The ladies on this list would be good ones to ask.