Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Keep your fingers crossed : )

It's funny how a day goes sometimes - I had to have a phone interview with the lady to renew our food stamps, I answered her questions and she told me I had to send some more stuff in. I had no more then hung up the phone with her that a fellow called about a job for my husband! He starts today, I hope and pray that it works out : )
My son's prom is this Friday, he actually worked over at his girlfriends house painting her mother's bedroom so he made some money to pay for some of it. BUT the big kicker is his graduation in next Sat.(May 24th.). I really don't think I am normal about this whole matter! I am dreading it! I just feel it is such a life changing time for a person that I really hate to see it come. I know I am nuts!
On the homeschooling front - I knew we wouldn't get much done with my husband around but now that he hopefully has a job again we can get back down to business. My husband saw the books I had ordered and he said "She is having a hard enough time with the basics, why are you adding drawing, painting, music ect" - I really want to add some fun to the school day, not always tough stuff for her. My son is very artistic and I thought to myself I wonder if Kelly has that in her too. I always thought once I got the hang of homeschooling I would add the elective type courses but as I see now time is passing and I may never have the "HANG" of it so lets add them now and brighten up the day a bit. Using the Well Trained Mind book's suggestions we are using "How Nature Works" & the Apologia Astronomy for our science - I plan to really try hard to do as many of the projects & experiments as we can afford to do. Kelly is a hands on type of girl and I think we really need to move away from the basic book type learning. For history I am using The Story of the World vol. 4 & the activity book, plus we are working through History of Us book 6 which we are finding to be very interesting. I had hoped to buy History Odyssey Modern Times I haven't heard much about it but it looks good.... (Has anyone used this before?) Math - That is our major stumbling block! She HATES math, It is sooo hard for her. We are just moving at a snails pace with it but I am really hopeing to just have her get basic math down to where she understands it and can use it in her day to day life.
Hope every one has a wonderful day!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna,
Send an email to kim@ilearn.com
Ask her if she has any spaces available for the free trial of iPass. This is a free Math program for grades 4-8. They are looking for people to try their program for 1 year free. You have to do a montly survey and let them know when you encounter problems.
Dylan is using it and LOVES it!!
It is truly a wonderful program.
I lost your email addy, so email me and I can give you more information.
You must do this quickly!!!
Bunny

Anonymous said...

You'll love Apologia Astronomy.

It's a good idea to include art, music, etc. Especially when a child has trouble with the 3 Rs, they need fun, interesting stuff. Otherwise the challenged student will just give up.

Check out Wild Days from the library and go for nature walks/picnics. This is free.

Learning challenged children are usually quite intelligent and need intellectual stimulation. The books that they can read are not usually enough to give their hungry brains what they need. We used quite a few audio books from the library to accomplish this purpose.

KL

Red said...

You will love Apologia, we did the General Science (even though we do not follow any faith) and we thought it was great.

You will get through this. My son just went through his local homeschool graduation last night and the tears flowed. Happy ones, so all is good.

As long as you are there with your child, letting them know you will be there for them to help them in any way possible, then you will be fine. You have been there in the past when they made transitions, this is just one in a long line of them.