Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thurs. on the Homeschooling Front

We had a nice school day outside yesterday. I find it refreshing to get in the air and away from the airconditioner. Of course there are many distractions out there.... mostly the horses! But we got a bit of schooling done which is a start for us. I have been wracking my brains for some ideas on how to get Kelly to have better recall of what we have learned - Any ideas? I read a chapter in History of Us about the civil war generals (we have been covering the civil war since the school year started, but have had quite a bit of time off from it) Kelly said "General Lee, I think I know him"... I have mentioned this mans name no less then 25 times or more since we started this lesson and she only kinda remembers who he is. So I obviously need to use a different method to help her retain the information. I try not to show her how deflated I feel when she says something like that but it really wears me out.

My son took the day off today from Winn Dixie to try and gt all his paper work ready to take down the police academy. the gal said on the phone the Jan. class is almost all filled up already - She has 27 students but she can take 30 so he has to hurry. To be honest I am not sure how this is all going to work out, but I am leaving it in Gods hands.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Freakmom said...

I'm glad you had a better day. Wish I had a suggestion to help her remember. Kids can remember every word to every song and every detail in a movie they saw, but ask them to remember one thing for school and forget it! Sigh.

Fatcat said...

What about notebooking? You can have her draw and write something about whatever you've read each day. My kids did this with american history last year and I think it helped with their recall.

The Cooking Lady said...

I swap reading with my children and they are teens.

I read a few paragraphs and then they do the same. It keeps them on their toes and great to see how much they really do know in the way of vocabulary.